Comfortable and sensible with plenty of natural light, our featured room offers modern style within George Town's heritage enclave. Conveniently located, major sights are within walking distance and street food stalls are minutes away.
SINKEH is a guesthouse located in the heart of George Town, Penang, that supports culture and the arts.
We offer 8 en-suite rooms in a 19th century Straits Chinese house, re-imagined by award-winning Malaysian architect Lillian Tay. The traditional open plan with its quintessential courtyard ensures ample ventilation and allows for easy social interaction. The modern rooms on the other hand, are compact and provide privacy. Like the rooms, many aspects of the house are contemporary, but the past is never far away. The walls, timber beams, building layout, views of the city and our name, link us to history and heritage.
Our name SINKEH means "newcomer" in Hokkien - a commonly used Chinese dialect in Penang. The sinkeh were Chinese immigrants who came to Penang in the 19th and early 20th centuries. Comprising traders, craftsmen and coolies, they formed part of the vibrant mix of communities that made up the population of this colonial trading post.
We love the arts at SINKEH. Performances, rehearsals, lectures and discussions are regular occurrences in the studio. Should you see and hear things that excite your senses, rest assured they are merely the creative expressions of artists who pass through.
Guests have access to a common lounge area where they can hangout, and help themselves to coffee or tea. There is a reading room for a quiet retreat, and the courtyard which is open to the public, is where guests can have friends over.
Kontakt z gośćmi
There will be staff in the house during the day to check guests in and to handle questions. If you will be arriving after 6pm, please let us know so we can arrange for someone to meet you.
Inne ważne rzeczy
No wifi in the room. Wifi available in public access areas only.
Our guesthouse is not suitable for children aged 12 and below.
The room is very bright in the morning. If you like to sleep in, please bring along an eye-mask.
If you have allergies, please take note that walls are coated with a layer of lime-wash in compliance with heritage guidelines and are hence, powdery.
We have a dog in the house. Her name is Luna.
1) If you are arriving after 7pm, please check with me before making a booking. I may not be able to check you in if there is a performance scheduled for that day.
2) We require from you a RM100.00 key and damage deposit when you check-in. This will be refunded accordingly when you check-out.
3) Malaysian law requires non-Malaysians to pay a RM10 Tourism Tax per room per night. This shall be collected from you in cash when you check-in.
4) Because of the many open and exposed spaces in the house, sound travels easily. We minimize sound disturbance by practicing quiet hours between 11pm and 7am, and by requesting guests for their cooperation to speak softly and tread lightly.
5) No smoking is allowed inside the room and attached balcony. If you smoke, please do so only in the designated areas.
6) Please entertain visitors only on the ground floor. The upstairs areas are reserved strictly for registered guests.
7) Please switch off the air-conditioner when you leave the room. Should you accidentally leave it on, we may enter your room to switch it off.
8) Please do not eat or keep food inside your room.
I work in the theatre as a director. Good meals with friends, gardening and listening to stories are things I enjoy. We are a friendly bunch here at Sinkeh, my team and I. We try to maintain a space that's peaceful and calm; one that encourages people to rest, to be at ease and relaxed.