Part of a Grade II listed house with beautiful Arts & Crafts gardens in the South Downs National Park, The Cottage is stylishly furnished and extremely comfortable: 2 bedrooms (double and twin rooms) both with TV’s (Netflix and catch-up); family bathroom and toilet; large kitchenette with dining table; downstairs toilet with washer/dryer; fast wi-fi. Explore the Itchen Valley. Close to excellent local pubs and historic Winchester. Easy access from M3, Heathrow and London.
Martyr Worthy Place is a Grade II listed country house which we have coaxed back to life from the unloved, derelict property we stumbled across nearly eight years ago.
During that time we have largely completed the extensive renovations to the house and former service areas (the servants' dining room, the housekeeper's room,the game larder, dairy and coal house): it is part of this area which forms The Housekeeper's Cottage accommodation where you will be staying.
The Cottage is accessed from the stable courtyard through your own private front door. Opening onto a large elegant hall you turn into the spacious room that was formerly the housekeeper's room, now your kitchenette, which has everything needed to be entirely self-sufficient: large American fridge/freezer, microwave, kettle and toaster. Based on recent feedback we have also now added a small free-standing counter top oven, large enough to roast a chicken, enjoy a pasta bake or grill some fish as the fancy takes you. It also has 2 small rings on top so it is very easy to have a quick fry-up or boil pasta, rice, potatoes, eggs and vegs. In other words feel free to whip up simple and tasty meals - although cooking a full Christmas lunch for 10 would definitely be a stretch! Wake to the smell of fresh coffee from the cafetiere - we will even leave you some coffee.
A full sized washer/dryer and separate downstairs toilet means longer stays are equally practical.
Moving upstairs, the large double bedroom has an extremely comfy double bed and stunning views down the drive and the long paddock. Also featuring a seating area with two armchairs, a spacious antique wardrobe and the original fireplace, it is the perfect place to relax after a hard day’s exploring the fascinating area: catch up on emails or watch the latest Netflix box set. A cot bed can be set up here.
The second bedroom is furnished with full-sized twin beds with Egyptian bedlinen, deep pillows and hand-woven wool blankets. We can add a cot or third single bed here. With a second TV, parents have the option to pop the kids in front of a favourite programme and then retreat to the peace of the double!
Due to the raised position of the house, the views over the South Downs National Park and the Itchen Way are particularly stunning from the twin room.
Please note that the Cottage is attached to the main house, separated by internal locked doors. The guest kitchen is directly adjacent to our family kitchen, separated by a locked internal ground floor door and you may well hear us going about our day but please do not hesitate to tell us if this disturbs you in any way and we will keep any noise to a minimum. Upstairs, as well as being separated by two locked doors and an internal hallway, our family bedrooms are all at the other end of the house so you will have complete quiet.
Centrally heated throughout, there is also high-speed wi-fi internet and a printer if required.
We are now turning our attention to the beautiful Arts & Crafts gardens which are listed on the Hampshire Historic Parks and Gardens Register. Bringing these gardens and the small number of remaining outbuildings back to life is an on-going task so please do not be surprised to see flower beds being lovingly re-established or the small woodland area being coppiced.
The kitchen garden (a project in process at the time of listing and not yet available to guests) is a sunny and safe spot to while away an afternoon in good weather or to unwind with a drink and eat your meal al-fresco, There is very easy access to the stunning views, rolling hills and fields of the Itchen Valley/the Pilgrims Way and the National Park: head out of the drive, turn left down the lane and left again opposite the church.
Kontakt z gośćmi
The Housekeeper's Cottage at Martyr Worthy Place will suit couples, families and business travellers alike and we can help - or hide! - as suits you best.
If you need more accommodation please contact us as the Housekeeper's Cottage can be let together with our other AirBnB property (The Game Larder) to include a further en-suite bedroom (with kingsize bed), fully equipped large kitchen (dishwasher, oven, hob, kitchen island, washer/dryer) and separate sitting room, to sleep a total of 6-8.
Inne ważne rzeczy
Please note that the living space (kitchen, entrance hall, comfy seating area in the main bedroom, bathroom and sleeping accommodation) is as described above and as shown in the photos.
* Please remove shoes indoors and upstairs.
* Guests are strictly limited to the number indicated on your booking reservation so please ensure that you include babies and children when you book. Any guests additional to the number previously agreed with us will be charged at £25/person per night.
* NO pets allowed.
* The kitchenette adjoins our family kitchen so we would be grateful for no noise after 10pm.
* There is a pair of comfortable armchairs in the double bedroom which means that during "waking hours" that bedroom can easily function as a sitting room but please take note that this is not a separate living room.
* We understand that accidents sometimes happen and that minor breakages can occur. We would just ask that if you break something (e.g. a glass or plate or if you damage linen) please let us know asap. Chances are we can repair or clean the item - if not, we do expect that you to meet the cost of a like-for-like replacement.
* Whilst we want you to enjoy the peace and tranquillity of the countryside, we reserve the garden for private family use and would be grateful if you would not cycle or sunbathe there. If you are interested in a wander around the formal gardens I would be very happy to give you a guided tour so do let me know.